Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My Mom and I are Starting to Hate Each Other

She came out last Saturday. It was a blissful Saturday, that's for sure. Boy, there's nothing like seeing a parent after a long time apart. Sunday, while busy, was a real joy. She watched me play soccer, met my girfriend and made me lunch. Just like in high school (except for the girlfriend bit). We got to work preparing for my first year of teaching, and that's when the proverbial train started to derail. There's nothing quite like driving in Los Angeles for four hours to make you wish you were by yourself, watching TV and eating. I felt like I had to put on a good face, for two reasons: 1) I'm the host and need to stay positive, and 2) I don't want her thinking I'm getting mad because she's giving me suggestions on how to be a good teacher.

Yesterday was the real kicker, though. We argued over the littlest shit, like how to tell if there's enough oil on a dipstick, and if I was stepping on her shoes when I decided I'd be the one to look for my sister's missing digital camera battery charger. She finally broke down and muttered a "whatever" when I argued the point that I'm on everyone's side. Whatever? That's what I used to say in high school!

We're on good terms now, partly because she bought me a laptop. We'll see if that lasts through lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home