Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Running on Reserve Power

Within the last two weeks I've developed a sleeping disorder. I get up at 4:30 in the morning and can't fall back asleep. My alarm is set for 6:00. I considered going to a doctor and having her prescribe a sleeping aid, but I figured I'd check with a friend first.

ME: I think I need pills.
HIM: I think you need to go to more ___________ and exercise more. Be at peace. It's the anxiety and fear of what hasn't even happened yet that is keeping you from falling back asleep.
ME: Good advice.

And then I asked my sister.

ME: I think I need pills, but first I think I need to go to more __________ and exercise more. What do you think?
HER: I agree with D__________. I think you need to go to more __________ and exercise more. Also, you could try keeping a notepad next to your bed, and when you wake up, just write down the things that are keeping you awake, like a "To Do" list.
ME: That's very good advice. I think I'll do that.

So a potentially crippling problem was whittled down to a meager speed bump. Besides, who needs all eight hours, anyways? Maybe I do, since my eyes are burning, my legs sore and my head swimmy with dizziness. I'm one of the humans that was built to demand at least seven hours, I know it. My roommate, on the other hand, only needs 5 and a half. I don't know how he does it. I feel like my computer, which just shot a warning at me: "Running on Reserve Battery Power. Save your work!" And then it straight shut down like a narcoleptic. Boom! I need to learn how to do that. Power naps, my dad used to call them.

I'm reading Catcher in the Rye with the kids, and Frankenstein with the grownup kids. It's a close call as to which I'm enjoying teaching more. Both are about the monster within, I suppose. My head feels like a monster, like a patched-on lump from some other being. It's trying to kill me at 4:30 in the morning. I need to go to more __________ and exercise more. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home