Thursday, October 12, 2006

I Almost Lost It in Church

I was reminded this afternoon that I'm only eight years older than my kids, as far as maturity goes. We had an assembly in the gym for a religious celebration, and there was singing involved. One of my students, a rather boisterous girl, started belting out the words to the song in horribly false tones. A student (not mine) next to me started covering his mouth and chuckling. That was it for me. I started to bite my lip harder than ever before. I think the kid next to me saw me laughing, because he started to laugh even harder, and then people in front of us (my students) started turning around and looking at the girl who was still belting out this god-awful singing. Finally I decided to get up and walk away from the situation and just pray for thoughts of calm and serenity to quiet my giggles. It worked, but everybody was looking at me funny. I'm sure the kid next to me figured out what I was doing. The downside is that we're gonna have plenty more of these assemblies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Smidge said...

This is true, Burt. In a perfect society, I could have lost control and laughed my head completely off. However, in the world we live in, a teacher laughing hysterically at a church assembly could result in full-scale pandemonium. Were I to be like you, Burt, the adventurer, and I could have traversed uncharted territories at that assembly. But alas, I am still a humble servant. I like it, though.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home